Thursday, April 4, 2019

A Real Ride!

The cab service just made waves in the media with the company’s introduction of a new ‘automobile toilet service’ on instant hire. Seeing the ad, my wife was intriguingly thrilled!

Since the time the commercial on the new service went on air, she kept thinking about it. I realized that the ad had impacted her a good deal, because she kept on speaking about it! She had a stream of questions. It was a Sunday and she had enough and more time to spend on mulling over her crowding thoughts. Excitement filled the air as she voiced her remarks while lobbing her thoughts aloud.

“It‘s a novel service idea! This company is the first to have thought of customer urgencies! You think of the company, and you think of the need to ease yourself, even when you are out in a busy market…. just like whenever you thought of colour, you thought of a particular brand of paint, those days!!” she said in a tone of appreciation of the fist-mover’s idea.

Coming to reality instantly, she grinned with a ring of sarcasm, “The expected time of arrival of the cab showing on the app has always been far from the truth, at least in my experience! So, I can imagine how the efficiency of the delivery of this service is going to be! Some drivers may ask for cash. If you say that you are paying by e-wallet, they may refuse the trip! How would it be, if after waiting for long, the driver calls you and not willing to serve you, cancels the trip? And then I am charged for the cancellation too and what will happen to my urgency? Oh my God!...” 

She went on with an analytical bent of mind as a prospective customer, “Hey, it’s on the road! How would anyone call for such a service on the roadside?”

“Do you think, it’s going to be safe for a lady to get into such a huge truck all by herself and fearlessly lock up inside?”

“The driver may ask for the PIN; in a hard attempt to get it, he should not try to enter the toilet cabin!” she remarked in her own way with a reflection on the safety angle!

“Isn’t easing oneself going to be too expensive? Wouldn’t it be funny if the app tries to show five nearby automobile toilets on the road?! After the job is done the van can double-up as a cab as well… may be…” she remarked, not giving any time for me to react!

The ad gave her every opportunity to think about the company’s current performance! Recalling a few cabbing experiences, she retired to bed that day.

The next morning was quiet until I could hear her shouting, with her voice reverberating off the closet walls, “I’m relieved!”  I wondered for a moment what she was talking about!

My eyebrows rose in amazement when she said,  “It was all a prank! I just got a message, on my phone from the cab company just now. There’s no toilet service! You know today is 1st of April!”

I was just dumbfounded!

Hola, you’ve taken everyone for a real ride!

- Dr. Gibson G. Vedamani

No comments:

Post a Comment